Dysport is used to treat facial wrinking and various other concerns for clients at Portica. Dysport is very similar in chemical structure to Botox and is commonly used for all of the same indications. Dysport injections are most commonly used in the top one-third of the face, with the most treated areas being the vertical lines between the brows, the horizontal forehead lines and the smile lines at the sides of the eyes.
One uniquely positive feature of Dysport is that clients can begin seeing the results of Dysport two days after injections, which is sooner than the 4-5 days it usually takes for other neurotoxins such as Botox, Xeomin and Jeuveau to begin working. The effects of Dysport last a similar amount of time to the other neurotoxins, which is typically three months.
Dysport is effective for issues beyond the cosmetic wrinkling in the top one-third of the face. Like the other neurotoxins, Dysport can be used to treat the following issues:
- Vertical wrinkling that extends out from the upper and lower lips commonly referred to as “smoker lines”.
- Jaw clenching and grinding that comes from involuntary flexing of the masseter muscle. Jaw clenching can cause a myriad of issues including grinding down of the teeth, chipping teeth, pain in the jaw muscle, erosion of gums, TMJ pain, enlargement of the jaw muscle and a squaring off or masculinization of the lower face. Dysport used to treat this area can help for many months and even years after injection if the habit is effectively broken.
- Inadvertent frowning and down-turning of the corners of the mouth.
- Neck banding caused by the platysmal muscle contracting in the front of the neck. The flexing of this neck muscle can cause unsightly vertical bands that extend along the neck up into the jawline. These bands can create loose skin and permanent sagging neck skin after many decades of repeated skin stretching.
- Headaches: Muscle tension in the muscles of the head and neck can lead to chronic headaches. Injections of Dysport in these tense muscles can help to relax the tension and prevent the headaches.